Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Elements ( and Pleasures) of Difficulty Questions pg 17

1.There are so many different kind of poetry, but some that i could think of on top of my head are the sonnets,  and haiku. These particular methods of poetry require certain criteria to make them what they are. To me , poetry is an art . Sometimes it is difficult to understand, but when you do, it opens your eyes to something new. Just like any sort of art, painting, sculpture, etc. Poetry is a way to express yourself. If i were to explain to my friend what poetry was i would most likely say, i'm learning different ways  people use to express their feelings and thoughts.

2.I have to agree that poetry is popular, experiencing it personally. Although I always had trouble understanding poetry.I found it difficult to break down each line, because writers used a lot of metaphors, personifications, etc. In  high school, poetry was something you had to study in your English class. I think it all depends on the person, if the person is interested in poetry it will be a popular for them. If it is difficult for you, then you will try to avoid it.

3. Maybe, the first time i read poetry was in elementary school. Honestly i do not remember the name of the poem. All i could remember was that there was a lot rhymes. It was fun to read, and now when i read poetry i constantly remember that time and in a way helps me remember that poetry is fun.

4.In high school while reading poetry, my teachers constantly reminded us to read the poem more than once. That was one of the most common advice given to me throughout my high school years.Also breaking down each line and having an open mind with poetry. My teacher once said to look outside the box with each line, and read between the lines. 

5.Honestly, i haven't really learned about poetry outside of class. But i have talked to my friends and they shared the different methods they use to understand poetry. For example one of my friends researches the poet, depending on the time it was written helps her understand the language better.

6.The only time i wrote poetry was in class. One poem i remember in particular was during my senior year, my A.P, Lit teacher assigned us to write a sonnet. Sonnets are difficult to write because of the structure it requires.I shared it with my teacher and my classmates. My teacher and classmates agreed that my poem lived up to the standards of what a sonnet has to be. Reading and writing poetry is different because when you are reading you are trying to figure out what poet if trying to express. Writing poetry is about what you feel and what your thoughts are.

No comments:

Post a Comment